Australia and New Zealand have the Trans-Tasman Travel Arrangement which means that Australians can live and work freely in New Zealand. For those that are not Australian, here are some options to get residency in New Zealand:
Work and Business Visas
- If your profession is in demand, this make your move to New Zealand a lot easier. New Zealand have skill shortages in over 150 professions. Register on their website to get access to the skills in demand list
- The Skilled Migrant Visa is a resident visa that takes into account factors such as age, work experience, your qualifications, and an offer of skilled employment. You must also be aged 55 or under, and meet English language, health, and character requirements.
But there are many other options to work in New Zealand, like a talent work visa and a post study work visa. Use their handy tool here to find out which work visa option is right for you.
- If you invest NZ$3,000,000 in New Zealand over a 4 year period, you may apply for residency. There are additional requirements such as assets of at least NZ$1,000,000, a minimum of 3 years' business experience and English language ability.
- If you invest NZ$10,000,000 over a 3 year period in New Zealand, you may apply for residency.
Through your Family:
- If your spouse is a citizen or permanent resident of New Zealand, you are probably eligible for residency. Please note that your status of spouse needs to be legally recognised in this country.
- If your spouse is an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you are probably eligible for residency in New Zealand.
- If one of your parents was born in Australia or is an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you may be eligible to live in New Zealand.
- If you are born in Samoa, or are a Samoan citizen or permanent resident, you may be eligible to live in New Zealand
- See the citizenship section below for more information on residency or citizenship based on descent.
The founder ofa startup or business can be eligible for New Zealand residency if they fulfill the following requirements:
- minimum capital investment of NZ$100,000 (excluding working capital)
- 120 points or more, with points awarded for factors about the likely success of the business and its value to New Zealand
- clear business plan
- clean recent history of bankruptcy, business failure and fraud
- health, character and English language requirements.
Global Impact Visa
- People solving problems of significance to humanity in a way that creates positive lasting economic, social and environmental value. Successful applicants to the Edmund Hillary Fellowship are automatically granted a visa. welcome applicants from all backgrounds and stages of the entrepreneurial journey to apply.
Working Holiday Visa
- If you are a citizen of Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea, Latvia, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, UK, USA, Vietnam or Uruguay and between the ages of 18-30 or 18-35 for some countries, you may be eligible for a 12 month working holiday visa or a 23 month working holiday visa for the USA and Canada.